Tuesday, January 22, 2013

If it ain't broke.....

Fix it anyway!! Lol


Happy Tuesday everyone. I hope you all had a nice long weekend. We had really beautiful weather here in SoCal so we had a beachy, picnicky weekend. Birds chirped. Leaves blew in the breeze. My cheeks got rosy in the sun. It was wonderful.

Life really is beautiful.

That leads me to my project for the day. A few years ago, my sister bought me this awesome painting from Pier1. I just loved it so so much and since she loves me so so much, she bought it for me. awwww. My sis is the best!
 
It has been hanging over the "brown beast" aka our guest bed in the den that sits in the center of our home. I walk by it a zillion times a day. I often notice it hanging there, but sometimes I don't. It's just a part of our house. I love it. It means a lot to me. It makes me happy.
 

Well, today, I walked past it and noticed it. Only, not for the awesomenss that I usually do. I noticed that hanging over the brown beast, the plum/gold/brown hue looked kinda muddy and dark. I never saw it that way, but all the sudden I did. Instantly I new what to do....

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that nothing is safe from my aqua paint. I used my Martha Stewart craft paint (color: Surf) and simply painted over the background color with a foam brush.

Two coats later and poof!
 
Lighter and brighter and very much more "me."
I may end up moving it into my bedroom. It would look really pretty hanging over my bed now that it's so bright and happy. I didn't factor in that the new aqua color may clash a bit with the icy blue color of the highboy dresser. That's what happens when you are impulsive I guess. haha!
 
It wasn't super perfectly painted to begin with...kinda free form and splotchy. This made it so I didn't have to be super careful when I was painting over it (which works out nicely for me - lol).
 


I like it so much better now :)

 I looooved it before, but now it just pops more and fits in with the rest of our decor. The brown beast with all ways be beasty. Some day I see an awesome murphy bed or caned day bed or some other less unsightly guest bed solution. For now, the beast is brightened up with some aqua love. Sigh. I love you aqua!

Happy day to you :)


6 comments:

  1. i love how the orange of the flower really pops now!!! it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I don't think that I would ever think of painting over a painting, but now I feel inspired! It looks even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, Ali! And your guest bed looks nice...at least it's not Hunter Green like our guest room sofa bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - never would have thought to paint right over a painting! Look great there!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet it is - Life is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)